As the summer months fade… and the cool winds of autumn and reminder of winter settle in we are presently in between seasons, making many of us vulnerable and susceptible to cold and flu viruses. One way to combat illness is to stock up on orange and grapefruit (and other citrus fruits) which are an excellent source of vitamin C and easily found in North American stores. They are a very good source of dietary fibre and a good source of B vitamins, including vitamin B1, pantothenic acid B5, and folate.
A study published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that when men and women drank 1/2 to 1 litre of orange, grapefruit or apple juice daily, their pH value and citric acid excretion increased, meaning their bodies became more alkaline while the acid levels were easily decreased, creating an environment within the body that favours health and healing.
ALKALIZING CITRUS BENEFITS
1. Oranges are rich in citrus limonoids, proven to help fight various cancers, including skin, lung, breast, stomach and colon.
2. Prevent Kidney Disease. Drinking orange juice regularly prevents kidney issues, such as reducing the risk of kidney stones.
3. Lowers cholesterol; they’re full of soluble fiber.
4. Boosts Heart Health. Oranges in particular are full of potassium, an electrolyte mineral responsible for helping the heart function well. When potassium levels are too low, an abnormal heart rhythm, known as an arrhythmia can occur.
5. Lowers Risk of Disease. Citrus is loaded with Vitamin C and protects cells by neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals cause chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease.
6. Fights against viral infections by boosting the immune system. Studies prove that the abundance of polyphenols in oranges protect against viral infections.
7. Regulates High Blood Pressure. The flavonoid hesperidin found in oranges helps regulate high blood pressure while the magnesium in oranges helps maintain blood pressure.
8. Protects Skin. Oranges are full of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant which protects the cells from being damaged. They also protect the skin from free radicals and prevent/reduce signs of aging.
9. Contains many alkaline minerals that help to balance out the body. Like lemons and lime which are some of the most alkaline foods available.
10. Provides Smart Carbs. All fruits have simple sugars in them, but the orange has a glycemic index of 40. Anything under 55 is considered low. This means as long as you don’t eat a lot of oranges at one time, they won’t spike your blood sugar and cause problems with insulin or weight gain.
As a Naturopath, Doula/Birth Companion and Lifestyle Transformation Coach, I look forward to sharing with those I come into contact with. Over the next few months we will be offering our Healing Through Nutrition – a 7-week hands-on Program. We are also offering another Womb Awakening Weekend, December 5 and 6. For those interested in learning more about chakras and developing their energetic sensitivities, which are innate in all of us, we will be offering a 9- week Intro to Energy Program. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org 1.800.307.0156 www.cultivateyourown.com